Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A day in Aswan alone

The tour and Ron  headed off to a Nubian village for the day so I decided that I would go check out the locals in their home environment. So complete with my bottle of water, a good hat off I headed.


As usual the first thing to see is the poor old donkey dragging a heavy load down the road surrounded by trucks, cars, trikes and everything that has a horn and no off button LOL.


After walking for about 15 minutes inland (away from the safety of the boat) I came across this sight, goats and sheep being herded somewhere. Now it doesn't take Einstein to work out that there must be a market somewhere close and that these poor animals are about to become someones dinner so on I went in search of the market.


I did eventually find the market but started getting seriously harassed by the locals and couldn't work out whether they were just being over friendly or they were not happy that I was there so there is no pic of the place. The stall holders had all packed up for the day and I think they may have been about to take a nap and then set up for the night. As this happened I started to get pestered by some blokes in cars and horse and cart and the hand gestures were definitely not friendly. I ended up taking pics of them so that if something did happen to me I could toss my camera away and hopefully someone would find it and get the pics off it. Anyway a taxi came along and yelled at me to get back to the boat and that I was in a very dangerous area - "Are you stupid?" was one of his statements, oooops I'm really off the beaten track so I beat a hasty retreat.


On my way home I got to meet some more of the friendlier Egyptians and they are an absolute pleasure to be around. This guy in the fast food stand tried his best to get me to try his goods but the best I could do was make him the man of the moment by taking his pic LOL.


Back on board our boat sailing down the Nile with Faluccias quietly sailing past. We sailed until early evening when we pulled into the Temple of Horus.


Sunset on the Nile is wonderful.


1 comment:

Hans said...

This is a veeeeeeery long day in Aswan LOL